Micaela's First Holy Communion

One more thing I like about Dubai and that one thing that is special apart from the millions things I like about this country is the liberty to practice religion.

As a practicing Catholic I am glad that we have our own churches here in the UAE and the people are allowed to practice their religion inside the church premises.

There are a couple of churches in Dubai that I know, one is St. Francis de Assisi in Jebel Ali and St. Mary's Catholic Church in Oud Metha where we usually attend the holy mass, it is also where Prince was baptized. There is another church in Sharjah, the St. Michael's Church, it is where me and Ferald exchanged vows and where our first child Micaela was baptized.

Micaela recently received her first holy communion at St. Mary's Church after two continuous years of attending her catechism classes. Unlike in my home country, it is not included in her school program so we have to enroll her in a separate catechism class in Dubai.

Mica and her friend after the holy communion ceremony

I felt different that day. I felt pride in having to raise a God loving, God believing child. I am so proud of her for having to receive her first holy communion. I had goosebumps as I watch her and all the other children received their very first flesh and blood of Christ. I thank the Lord for such a blessing.

***

They looked angelic on white gowns provided by the church for a minimal fee including accessories (headdress for the girls, candle and scapular)



I bought for her a pretty white dress from Forever 21 to wear under the gown.


while I wore this blue dress from Iconic, there was this pretty maxi blue dress I found online but could not get it before Mica's event, I still want it so much and will have to get it.


I really wanted Ferald to be present on this special day but he was at work and there's no way to take a day off. No one's off during Saturdays at his workplace since it is the busiest day of the work week for them.There's another chance anyway since Micaela will have to continue her catechism classes, this time in preparation for the Sacrament of Confirmation or kumpil in Tagalog.

If you would like your child to receive his or her first holy communion in Dubai at St. Mary's Church in particular, your ward needs to attend two consecutive years of catechism class held every Friday and Saturday at the church followed by children's mass.

Here is the new announcement from the parish for the new catechism school year, you can also view it here should you wish to register your kids.

My Yellow Bells

Carla is a lifestyle blogger based in Dubai who's thankful to call this ever-evolving city her second home. The pages of this blog are filled with stories about her expat life in the sandpit. It features dining and travel adventures in and around the city and beyond. It also features food recipes, parenting tips, and fashion style.

2 Comments

Please feel free to share your own story or views here.

Cheers
Carla

  1. I join you in celebration of Micah's blessings to have received the Sacrament of Communion.

    Thank you for the reminder and the schedule of next classes, my Kalel will have to join this coming September :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Bev and your welcome.

      I forgot to mention that sometimes, they do the chidlren's mass first and then catechism class or vice versa. Anyhow, we also attend the children's mass every time instead of attending a separate one and it feels good to be inside the church with at least 500 young souls.

      Delete
Previous Post Next Post